Son Heung-Min exits Spurs
Son Heung-Min exits Spurs as he have just reached the end of his eighth campaign in North London, chipping with 10 goals and six assists in the 2022-23 premier league.
Spurs endured a hugely disappointing season, finishing in eighth position in the top flight and missing out on European qualification. Although Celtic boss Ange Postecoglou has been appointed as Spurs new head coach, a number of players are facing uncertainity including Harry Kane.
Son has taken the step to ensure that there is clarity with his own future a result of speculation regarding a switch to the Middle East. Earlier this week, it was claimed that Al-Hilal were prepared to pay in the region of £51m to secure the services of Son on a four-year contract.
Spurs allegedly had no interest in selling Son, regardless of his stance, yet the 30-year-old has taken the opportunity to state that he will be remaining in England’s capital. Real Madrid had completed the deal on signing Jude Bellingham from Borussia Dortmund.
As quoted by South Korean journalist Sungmo Lee, Son said: “I have many things to do in the Premier League. Money doesn’t matter to me now, and the pride of playing football, to play in my favorite league is important.
“I want to play more for Tottenham in the Premier League, I’ll prepare well when I’m back to Spurs.”
While the development will be a boost to Spurs chairman Daniel Levy, it is a blow to Saudi Arabian football and the PIF (Public Investment Fund). Chelsea had agreed on signing RB Leipzig midfielder Christopher Nkunku on summer transfer windows.
In recent days, there has been a major show of intent regarding transfers, with the Saudi Pro League transfer record on the brink of being broken through Ruben Neves leaving Wolverhampton Wanderers for Al-Hilal in a £47m deal. On other hand, Arsenal plans on signing Jurrien Timber for £130 million.
Chelsea also stand to benefit from Saudi Arabian signing a number of the players that they had made available for transfer, a consequence of desperately needing to generate funds to meet FFP criteria.
Those departures are expected to follow that of Chelsea midfielder N’Golo Kante, who will be announced as a new Al-Ittihad player in due course.
Earlier in June, the club were one of four leading Saudi Arabian sides to be taken over by the country’s Public Investment Fund, which also owns Newcastle United.
Benzema was the latest high-profile player to join the Saudi Pro League after Portugal legend Cristiano Ronaldo signed for Al Nassr in December, while several Premier League players have also been linked with a move this summer.
On Monday, Steven Gerrard said he will not be taking up an offer reportedly from Al-Ettifaq – to manage in the league.
“I have many things to do in the Premier League,” he said.
“Money doesn’t matter to me now, and the pride of playing football, to play in my favourite league is important.”
Son Heung-Min profile over his career
Al-Ittihad – who are managed by former Wolves and Tottenham manager Nuno Espirito Santo offering Son a four-year deal worth 30m euros (£25.6m) per season.
After winning the Golden Boot the previous season, Son had a poor start to the 2022–23 season, failing to score any goal in the first eight games and proving only one assist. He ended his goal drought in the game against Leicester City on 17 September, when he came off the bench to score a hat-trick in 13 minutes to help Tottenham win 6–2.
On 1 November, Son collided with Marseille’s Chancel Mbemba during the final matchday of the UEFA Champions League group stage. This collision caused Son to suffer an orbital fracture in his left eye. Son managed to recover to the point that he would be healthy enough to play in the 2022 World Cup for South Korea, after he declared himself fit to play.
Despite enduring a difficult season for Tottenham, on 8 April 2023, Son scored his 100th Premier League goal in a 2–1 win over Brighton & Hove Albion, and became the first Asian player to reach that landmark.